Override DNS (a DNS changer) v5.2.3-0-ge8f7e44a Final Apk
Override DNS is a DNS changer for mobile and Wi-Fi networks which works from Android version 4.3 (Jelly Bean).
First of all some considerations before going on:
• the app is now working with Lollipop
• the app needs a rooted device
The app was born to change DNS on KitKat, but from version 3.0.0 it has been ported to Android 5.0 Lollipop (see below) and from version 1.3.0 it has been backported to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean MR2.
The Lollipop situation
The app works, but there are some rough edges I’m working on (mainly related to multiple connections: VPN, hotspot etc.) and weird and custom SELinux policies created by OEMs.
The thing is that Lollipop changed the way name resolution is managed in Android, so the KitKat way is not working anymore.
If you buy the app and it doesn’t work, please contact me: in the beta channel I’ve a working apk which I’m going to release very soon!
With this software you can
• Bypass internet censorship when based upon DNS blocking.
• Overcome an Android limitation: there’s no system setting to change mobile DNS.
• Speed up internet connection. You can find many articles on the web which show various benchmarks of Domain Name Servers performances and how they affect your navigation (your mileage may vary).
• Keep in sync mobile and Wi-Fi DNS in fact from v1.2.0 the app can handle Wi-Fi connections, too.
• Automatic DNS change when a mobile connection gets activated (can be disabled).
• Automatic DNS change when a Wi-Fi connection gets activated (can be disabled).
• Automatic DNS change when an ethernet connection gets activated (can be disabled).
• Wi-Fi filter based on SSID, so you can automatically apply DNS only to certain connections (can be disabled).
• Custom DNS values.
• Almost zero memory and CPU usage, because it’s not a service.
• Notifications let you know that the app is working (can be disabled).
• Automatic DNS flush without need to restart the device.
• DashClock integration, to keep an eye on the DNS in use.
• It comes prepacked with the most common DNS services.
• Simple and clean interface, Holo styled.
• Ad free.
• Works on Lollipop, KitKat and Jelly Bean.
• does not fully support multiple active connections (i.e. tethering or Wi-Fi AP): you can exclude one network device from the advanced settings
• horizontal layout is still awful.
Please remember: the app needs root
bugfix crash NoSuchMethodError for Android < 19
Requirements: 4.3 and up