Samsung Galaxy S2 remains no official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware from Samsung but owners can drive the device for an upgrade to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean instead using the Slim Bean custom ROM.
Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM for Galaxy S2 GT-I9300
Slim Bean developers have now released the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Beta 2 version for certain devices including Samsung Galaxy S2.
“New weekly SlimBean 4.3 beta 2 is currently rolling out step by step. Due to our awesome DMs, 31 devices in total are getting 4.3 builds today. Even though these builds are labelled beta, most devices are reported as being very stable – especially the google/nexus devices. That said, keep in mind that it’s still an automated weekly build and a beta,” changelog post from Slim Bean Web site.
Warning: Slim Bean ROMs are custom firmware and we are not liable for any damages which may occur on your device. Read and follow the instructions carefully to prevent damaging your handset. Do this at your own risk.
– Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9300
– Backup all your personal settings and data files on your smartphone
– Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent
– Enable USB debugging on your device. Go to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”
– Root your Galaxy S2 and install a custom recovery app such as ClockworkMod recovery on your phone
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9300 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste both the Slim Bean Android 4.3 Beta 2 ROM and the Slim Google Apps you have downloaded earlier to the SD card of the Galaxy S2. Do not extract any of them.
3. Disconnect the Galaxy S2 and turn it off.
4. Reboot into recovery mode. Press and hold the volume up, power and home key till the Samsung logo comes up.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select “backup and restore > backup.” The saved ROM is stored inside the SD card which can be restored anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe on your handset. Select “wipe data/factory reset” and “wipe cache partition.” Then select “advanced > wipe Dalvik cache.”
7. After the full wipe, install the Slim Bean custom ROM. Select “install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card.” Choose the Android 4.3 Slim Bean Beta 2 ROM and confirm the installation. Apply the same with Slim Google Apps package.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now.”
9. The phone may take up to 5 minutes to reach the home screen on its first time running the ROM.
Well done! Your Samsung Galaxy S2 is now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with Slim Bean ROM and features.